WorkshopGetting started with analyzing 16s microbiome data
Do you want to learn to analyse 16s microbiome data?
On this ½ day workshop, we will introduce you to core concepts of processing amplicon data in microbiome projects. You will recieve a theoretical introduction and followed by hands-on exercises.
- Understand the basics and the practical implementations of 16S based microbiome projects.
- Know how to evaluate raw 16S rRNA gene data.
- Know how to perform QC of the raw data, understanding the pitfalls and considerations.
- Know how to generate microbiome profiles (annotated abundance profiles), understanding the pitfalls and considerations.
- Know how to inspect the microbiome profiles, and to prepare the profiles for biostatistical analysis.
The course is structured into sections, that comprise a theoretical introduction, followed by practical hands-on exercises.
This will give you both the theory behind the steps needed for analysing 16S rRNA gene sequencing data, and the experience from having run the code and seen the process on your own computer.
This also means that you will finish the day with a step-by-step guide on how to move from raw data to microbiome profiles.
In the final step section of the workshop, we go through the steps of inspecting and evaluating the obtained microbiome profiles, as this is of key importance for sound microbiome data analysis.
Getting started with 16s microbiome data
This is what you get:
- Expert teachers
- Understanding of the basics of 16s based microbiome projects
- Well structured workshop with hands-on sections
- Introduction the R packages DADA2 and phyloseq
Early bird price ends in
When: Thursday 24 February, 2022.
Where: Navitas, Inge Lehmanns gade 11, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Fee: 1950 DKK (260 euro). Early bird; 200 euro with registration latest 31. Dec. 2021.
Duration: 08.30-12. We setup and assist with software installation, internet access etc. between 8.30-9am, and start the workshop at 9 am. At 12, at lunch, we will offer a sandwich and hope people will stay for networking.
Step-by-step of the day
- Introduction to basis and implementation of amplicon 16S rRNA gene microbiome projects.
- Introduction to the data, learning to evaluate the quality of the raw data.
- Introduction to DADA2, the software we will be using for data filtering, and microbiome profiling. Then hands-on section going through the steps from raw data to microbiome profiles with DADA2.
- Visualize and evaluate the microbiome profiles, with introduction to the R package phyloseq.
- Key steps of sample and taxa filtering, preparing the data for statistical analysis.
Who you are?
The workshop targets people who would like to know how to process 16S microbiome sequencing data, perhaps because they are planning a project, or their workplace considers starting in-house microbiome data processing.
You might have worked with sequencing data before, or you might be totally new to the world of processing sequencing data. Perhaps you have processed 16S data before with different software and would like an introduction to a workflow using DADA2.
To register, send an email with name, affiliation and contact information to email@example.com. We have seats for 30 people and will close registration when we reach this number.
You will receive an invoice by e-mail following registration. Please let us know if you have specific requirements for the invoice.
You must bring your own laptop with some storage and memory available, for a smaller dataset and installation of the needed software. Detailed specifications will follow in the weeks before the workshop.
We will be working mainly in R, with some terminal usage. Prior experience is an advantage but not a requirement.
The half-day course/workshop will be on-site. However, if the covid19 regulations prohibit us to conduct the course on site, we will go ahead with the event online.
This will of course reduce the interaction from the hands-on sections, but we will still aim for some hands-on exercises.